(fn. , Stepney is connected to the London Underground at Stepney Green tube station on the Hammersmith & City and District lines. St. Dunstan and all Saints, Stepney is the earliest church in this part of East London. in Wapping and Shadwell, called the Linches from the 12th century; it had been the Spitalfields; Bethnal Green; Limehouse; Poplar, which included the Isle of Dogs (fn. The 13th-century Cropats ditch near Cropats well, south of Hachestreet Within two years they were able to establish their own theatre in Brick Lane. It took its current name in 2020. The Manor of Stepney was held by the Bishop of London in compensation for his duties in maintaining and garrisoning the Tower of London; the extents of the Manor, and the association with the Tower make it likely that the Tower division, also known as the Tower Hamlets was based on Stepney.. , Stepney is in the constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow, represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2010 by Rushanara Ali of the Labour Party.. Wapping called Wapping-Whitechapel which became the parish of St. John, stream (also concealed) rose at the junction of West and South Tenter streets in Goodman's junction of Butcher Row with White Horse and Cable streets. Mile End. 43). 1), OSSULSTONE HUNDRED : PARISHES IN THE TOWER DIVISION 1819. Christ Church, Spitalfields (73 a. 18) Along the Thames an 6), Stepney's land boundaries were not natural: that with Bromley followed the Not necessarily in that order. Bishop William held this land in demesne, in the manor of Stepney, on the day on which King Edward was alive and dead. the area between St. Katharine's marsh and the vill of Shadwell (that is, Walmarsh) rents from submerged land and the manor paid expenses for attending the inquiries , St Dunstan's Church was founded (or rebuilt) around 952, by St Dunstan himself when he was Bishop of London, and therefore also Lord of the Manor of Stepney. It is situated just north of the medieval village of Stepney, which was clustered around St. Dunstan's Church. unassarted, probably woodland, and before any man-made features were available. north-west corner of the East India docks. (fn. Cross, where Butcher Row meets Ratcliff Highway, and in the 1st century A.D. the History of Stepney, CT. Stepney, CT. The parish includes also the hamlets of Mile-End New Town, Mile-End Old Town, and Ratcliffe. have been submerged at high tide as late as the 2nd century A.D. (fn. the manor of Pomfret, was said to have allowed the flooding of c. 1,000 a. Stepney and Walmarsh similar to the laws and customs of Romney marsh, in order (335.9 ha.) (fn. The parish lies on the North London and the G.E. mills. (fn. Stepney covered almost all the area between the suburbs of the City of London and the river Colchester road southward to the Thames, with an extension eastward along the (fn. Footballers Ledley King, Ashley Cole, Mark Lazarus, and Darren Purse were born in Stepney, Heavyweight boxer "Bombardier" Billy Wells and former armed robber, bare-knuckle boxer and businessman Roy Shaw were born in Stepney, as was former British featherweight boxing champion Sammy McCarthy, and sportswriter and author Norman Giller, whilst clergymen John Sentamu, formerly Bishop of Stepney, and Father Richard Wilson, founder of the Hoppers' Hospitals at Five Oak Green, Kent, lived in the borough at one time.. Stepney is a district in the East End of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. marsh, in the Isle of Dogs. Hackney appears to have been an early daughter parish of Stepney; a church at Hackney is first mentioned in 1275 but is likely to have been in place before then. In the 18th century most London-registered ships sailed from docks in the parish of Stepney, which then took in much of east London’s riverside. was named in 1324 after major flooding, and they later became frequent, with nine 8) By 1320 it had lost c. 211 a. to form the parish 32) Sixteen John Cass was born on 20th February 1661 in Rosemary Lane, East Smithfield – a site later occupied by the Royal Mint. (fn. 21) The extent of the alluvial marsh may explain why a 33), More permanent solutions were found in the 16th century: after the whole of By the time … , Due to the availability of cheap housing, the East End of London and London Borough of Stepney has been home to various immigrants who have contributed to the culture and history of the area, such as the French Huguenots in the 17th century, the Irish in the 18th century, Ashkenazi Jews fleeing pogroms in Eastern Europe towards the end of the 19th century, and the Bangladeshi community settling in the East End from the 1960s onwards. (fn. , Stepney Green railway station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The only other known 20th-century out for drainage. hamlets totalling 830 a. He was also influenced by Arnold Toynbee and Benjamin Jowett. In the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides of the bishop. 27), The high tidal range made necessary repeated reclamation work until adequate The bells of the church, cast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, appear in the nursery rhyme, Oranges and Lemons, "When will that be? (fn. parish with the associated activities and docks, Stepney was also closely involved in London's The most Stepney families were found in the UK in 1891. Partly built up in the Middle Ages and great in size, it served Over the course of the 19th century Stepney’s character was transformed as London expanded to absorb it. suggesting that it was laid down when that part of the manorial demesne was 41) A stream (fn. following hamlets which became separate parishes: Whitechapel, including part of occasionally well into Essex. (fn. precinct of the Minoresses' abbey of St. Clare), just north of the Tower, and Old ), in 1730, and St. Matthew, Bethnal Green (755 a.)  It was home to a variety of small businesses including a bookmaker and a printer, before being occupied in 1910 by the Union of Stepney Ratepayers.. Stepney’s bells A History of Stepney’s bells goes back at least 625 years and as might be expected, some of the detail has been lost (if it had ever been fully recorded). The Stepney family name was found in the USA, the UK, Canada, and Scotland between 1840 and 1920. As with most of the East End of London, the contracted area now known as Stepney was sparsely populated until the 19th century, with a population focussed on scattered farms and small hamlets. The Stepney Spare Wheel was invented by Thomas Morris Davies in Llanelli in 1904. , The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was formed in 1900. , Stepney City Farm is a city farm which provides a number of community services, such as guided tours, workshops and other activities. , The district's Senrab Street gave its name to Senrab F.C., a youth team now based in Wanstead Flats and notable for producing many future professional players. St Dunstan's and Stepney Green Ward), This page was last edited on 30 December 2020, at 12:45. (fn. land wrested from the Thames. The vicar of St Paul’s then was Fr Joe Williamson, who had achieved considerable local fame as a reformer and crusader against vice, prevalent in the area because of the proximity of the docks. Artillery Ground and Norton Folgate, both near Bishopsgate. For hundreds of years the term Stepney referred to the Manor and Ancient Parish of Stepney. well, by the site of St. Paul's Shadwell, and was still known to residents in 1684. The first contemporary record of the Manor is around the year 1000, it covered an area equivalent to the modern borough of Tower Hamlets, as well as the district of Hackney (in the wider modern borough of the same name). 1570, the site of the roads called Greenbank and Wapping Wall, and gradual It is also known as "The Church of the High Seas" due to its traditional maritime connections. 22) the only place on the north bank below London river wall at Wapping that gave its name to Walmarsh. A maritime embanking was carried out in the 16th century. Stepney has local councillors from three wards, St Dunstan's, Bethnal Green and Stepney Green. There are two statues of William Booth the founder of the Salvation Army, who began his preaching here. , In the 1965 Rolling Stones song Play with Fire, it is said an heiress whose wealth has been carried off by her husband “gets her kicks in Stepney, not in Knightsbridge anymore.”, Link which includes relationship between open space of ME Green and Stepney Green, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place-names, on Dunstan probably rebuilding, rather than founding, the church of the manor and parochia “Medieval London Suburbs, Kevin McDonnell, p136, Churches in the landscape, Richard Morris, 169-171, The map shows the extent of the TD, which corresponds to Stepney, except for Shoreditch which was also held by the Bishops, harvnb error: no target: CITEREFStourton2012 (, The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde, Neil Mckenna, Randon House, 2011-02-28, Essays and Letters by Leonard A. Montefiore, in Memoriam, Page 10, Privately Printed, Chiswick Press; C Whittingham and Co. London 1881, Tower division, also known as the Tower Hamlets, List of schools in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Stepney Green Maths, Computing and Science College, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp7-13, "Hot neighbourhoods: Stepney, E1 – Time Out London", https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp13-19, https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp63-70, "Stepney: Early Stepney, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green", https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol11/pp1-7, "Row over Sainsbury's scheme for tower near Whitechapel almshouses", "Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London", "Anchor Retail Park – Scheme Overview on Completely Retail", http://stepneycityfarm.org/at-the-farm/community-groups/?doing_wp_cron=1540313145.3181309700012207031250, "Stepney Jewish Community Centre – Community – Jewish Care", "Bethnal Green: Settlement and Building to 1836 – British History Online", "St Dunstan's and Stepney Green – UK Census Data 2011", http://www.ukcensusdata.com/st-dunstans-and-stepney-green-e05000584, http://www.stepneygreen.towerhamlets.sch.uk/, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Stepney&oldid=997199421, Districts of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from September 2019, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, 16,238 (2011 census. top of London Clay, the area north-west of a line from the north-west corner of Victoria marsh, in St. George-in-the-East and Whitechapel, and Stepney marsh or Poplar , Stepney F.C. 5) to the south was the Thames, Some Georgian architecture and Victorian era terraced housing survive in patches: for example Arbour Square, the eastern side of Stepney Green, and the streets around Matlock Street. to obtain labourers and make quick repairs. Stepney formed a large Ancient Parish in the Tower division of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; bounded by Bromley (almost certainly part of Stepney until the Reformation) and West Ham to the east, the River Thames to the south, Shoreditch and Hackney (after its probable early split from Stepney) to the north and the City of London and the Liberties of the Tower of London to the west. 16) The gravel ends just short of the Lea, The earliest commission known was in 1297-8; another 24) By the early 13th century To the west the City of London's suburban The origins of the Manor are not known, but its large size, relatively rich soils and position adjacent to the walls of London have led to suggestions that the manor was the foundation grant of land made to the Bishop of London to support the creation of the new diocese of London (the East Saxon see) at the time of the establishment of St Paul's Cathedral in 604 AD.. 20) By the 12th century It is based at the Brenner Centre in Raine House. The historic Stepney Baptist Church building was built in 1841 by the noted local joiner Hanford Hull. 42½ a. to freemen and the rest to his bondmen, all of whom held by the service ), Middlesex, in E. of London and in parl. He enlisted the help of local amateurs, and the Russian Jewish Operatic Company made their debut at the Beaumont Hall, close to Stepney Green tube station. From the Tudor era onwards, parish-level area were responsible for mitigating the poverty of people born in the area. Zion chapel, built 1849 for the Methodist New Connexion (2013) (fn. STEPNEY. Say the bells of Stepney". The Lord Lieutenancy is purely an honorary titular position. It may have given the name to the bishop, of 7 tenements and 9 cottages to his tenants, and of land on other The name "Stepney" is thought to derive from "Stepping Stone" or "Stepstone", from the presence of a mounting block near the place. I know not how to complete the etymology, unless we suppose it to have been the timber wharf, from Steb, the trunk of a tree. and the south-east parts lie at less than 10 m. (fn. , The Stepney Historical Trust was set up in 1989 to advance the public's education on the history of Stepney and the surrounding areas. site of a Roman road and was later that of Ratcliff Highway. It was usual for one or more manors to form a parish, but the manor of Stepney's great size meant that this was reversed with two parishes (Stepney and Hackney) serving the single manor of Stepney. It was German bombers rather than British politicians … Lea, the eastern boundary of Middlesex, until the early 14th century when the first of several For many years after construction, the almshouses were in a very rural Mile End. , The ecclesiastic system of copyhold, whereby land was leased to tenants for terms as short as seven years, prevailed throughout the manor. The edge of the gravel formed a steep bank Parish History [edit | edit source]. 17) In the south part of the parish the gravel St Dunstan's church is recorded as being founded (or more likely rebuilt) by Dunstan himself in 952, and as the first church in the manor, will have served the whole of that landholding. area of meadow on the east side of the Lea lay in Stepney. When Morris and Esther got married in 1904 they were living at 4 Ship Alley. , Stepney Green Maths, Computing and Science College is a community school for boys, the curriculum is broad, there is a wide range of extra-curricular activities offered before, during and after school. The Stepney Green Conservation Area was designated in January 1973, covering the area previously known as Mile End Old Town. 15) There remained three of John Malte of London by Joan, da. of Tower Hamlets, 832 ac., pop. the southern end of West India Dock Road, along Poplar High Street, and then to the Stepney - the liberty of the Tower, by the river, Holy Trinity (formerly the (It is an English custom to name streets after a place they are a path to, rather than after the place in which they are located.) Wapping; Stratford Bow, including Old Ford; Shadwell; the major part of Wapping enwharving on the river side helped to contain the tides. " The memorial fountain has the following poem engraved on its side: "Clear brain and sympathetic heart, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11, Stepney, Bethnal Green. Poplar to enter the Thames at Limehouse dock. The early history of East London . ends at a line which runs from the northern half of St. Katharine's docks, north of the To the south of the church are 17th century Mercer's houses. The urbanisation of the area was driven by the maritime trades along the river, as well as ribbon development along the Mile End Road. sta. (fn. Brief History of Stepney, England. last new civil parish was All Saints, Poplar (1,158 a. The ancient name of Stepney takes its shape and appears in history in the eleventh century around 1080. Later parishes were formed from the hamlets whose boundaries had been settled by Such parish divisions were unusual and required acts of Parliament. For the purposes of local government, the area seems to have been sub-divided into Hamlets. The boundary with Hackney cut across fields in 1703, pasture in the 15th century and saw the abandonment of a settlement at the south road by a bridge, known as Stonebridge in 1731. . , Stepney Green developed as a street of residential housing off the Mile End Road in the 15th century, and now refers to the area in north Stepney. Although a 16th-century plan shows it running from East Smithfield, it was more Local residents, schools, churches and community groups were consulted and wasteland left after a World War II bomb destroyed the Stepney Congregational Church in 1941 was secured for the farm's use. Details and photographs have been collected and are presented in an effort to help raise awareness about Stepney’s origins. 29) The large number of the late 17th century. 3) The The name appears under the form Stebenheth, given as Stephen’s hede (Stehpen’s landing place). It is based in the London Dockers Athletic and Social Club and has installed a series of plaques on sites of historic interest. Montefiore died at Newport, Rhode Island, aged 27. The land for the almshouses was donated by a Captain Henry Mudd and they consist of two rows of cottages either side of a green, with a chapel at the far end of the green. , The area overall is covered by London Buses services, mostly west–east by the 25, 205, N25, N205 on Mile End Roadand 15, 115, 135 and N550 on Commercial Road, the 309 and 339 via Ben Johnson Road. most of the western boundary presumably represented the limits reached by Ironically, when the Communists of Stepney enjoyed their finest moment, at the 1945 election, the borough’s most notable local politician, Clement Atlee, entered No.10 as the country’s new Prime Minister. (fn. The office was created in 1900 and abolished in 1965. From the 1100s, the development and improvement in enforcement of Canon law made it difficult to form new parishes, so Hackney seems likely to have formed a independent parish in the 12th century, with the district remaining a sub-manor of Stepney. and its settlements of Blackwall, Millwall, and Cubitt Town. ), Mile End New Town (42 a. The western part provided the first English Whitechapel, but floods in 1448 led to an inquiry into the cause. Our History Stepney Greencoat School was founded in 1710 by leading community members from the Hamlet of Ratcliff, to educate 110 local children. An estated house, Stepney Lodge was built in around the end of the 18th century, by 1817 housing had been built along Stepney Lane. (fn. including Stratford Bow and Bromley; and Stepney, including all the remaining Stepney was an ancient civil and ecclesiastical parish in the historic county of Middlesex to … (fn. The History behind Sir John Cass Red Coat School. economy, especially in housing the latter's industries. ), including He arrived on the Bluebell Railway on 17th May 1960, after the railway's founder Bernard Holden MBE helped to save the line for preservation. Soon after the war, a site in Stepney was designated for the rebuilding of a Red Coat School.